Subscribe for the latest industry news, technologies and resources.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Headquartered in London, Coltraco Ultrasonics is a global company and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of high-exporting advanced technology systems, products and services.
- Level – Non-invasive contents monitoring of fluids and liquefied gases contained in tanks, containers and cylinder of varying sizes
- Tightness – Identification and quantification of airtightness and watertightness in a variety of structures for room integrity, airtightness and watertight integrity and combines flow rate calculations
- Flow – Non-invasive measurement and monitoring of volume, mass and energy flow rates in a variety of pipework
- Thickness – NDT instruments for measuring thicknesses of various materials primarily for corrosion monitoring
Our Organisation comprises:
- The Company
- Our laboratory, which is co-located with the Centre for Advanced Instrumentation at Durham University
- Our research organisations, the Durham Institute of Research, Development & invention (DIRDI)
- Its Centre for Underwater Acoustic Analysis (CUAA).
It is our research and manufacturing excellence, and our enduring commitment to the sustainment of our technologies in the field, that makes Coltraco Ultrasonics the partner of choice for customers in 120+ countries.
We aim to deliver genuine value for our customers through our scientific and institutional values, and the global quality of our commercial and technical services.
Research & Development
Our Research, Development, Design and Ergonomics (RDDE) department is established in a laboratory based at North East Technology Park (NETPark), co-located with the Centre for Advanced Instrumentation (CfAI), part of the Department of Physics at Durham University.
Some of our key qualities and values include:
We combine the company’s vision with foresight and an ability to anticipate challenges and identify solutions to meet the markets’ needs.
We are committed to great science combined with great innovation which lead to great commercialisation to succeed in domestic and exporting markets concurrently.
We focus on developing solutions which are well-explained, user-friendly and detailed to address the pressing challenges faced in the market sectors we operate in.
We appreciate the value our customers bring to our ongoing research and our product offering is constantly being improved based on market feedback.
Operating across a diverse array of 25+ Market Sectors, from shipping to safety engineering, from process control to mining, from offshore energy to renewables, to healthcare, the built environment, naval and space, Coltraco Ultrasonics develops ultrasonic technologies to “see the sounds that others cannot hear” and, in our acoustic and mechanical systems, to “measure the hitherto unmeasurable”. Across both, we monitor and measure an array of specialised environments to deliver the Safesite™ on land and the Safeship™ at sea.
We have been developing non-invasive level detection technology for over 30 years and are proud leaders in this field for both fire suppression systems and industrial tanks.
- We pride ourselves in our high-quality, reliable, and accurate instrumentation and Portalevel® systems designed for fire suppression systems such as CO2, FM-200™, NOVEC™ 1230, Halons and a wide variety of other clean agents.
- This is complemented with the Portasteele® CALCULATOR which enables users to convert liquid level height found to agent weight, which is the manufacturers’ only documented evidence of contents found on the fire suppression cylinders providing traceability to the liquid level height measurement made.
- Our Portatank® is non-invasive and is designed to measure the liquid levels in your tank through the external side-walls, different to conventional ultrasonic tank level gauges which need to be inserted from the tank top and performs the level measurement top-down.
We are experts in ultrasonic airtightness and leak detection systems in room integrity, monitoring hospital building and watertight integrity.
- Our Portascanner® range of ultrasound testing systems are powerful, portable tools to aid you in your room or watertight integrity testing procedures.
- Our leakage detection systems use ultrasound to monitor the airtight and watertight integrity of any room or compartment, with the capability to locate leak sites as small as 0.5mm in diameter.
We have an advanced range of ultrasonic non-invasive flow meters for monitoring flow rates of clean liquids in pipework.
- Using our non-invasive Portasonic® technology, our transit time flow meters have significant advantages against an inline flow meter by reducing installation cost, risk and downtime for flow rate measurements.
- We offer both portable and fixed flow meters, and a unique Portasonic® CALCULATOR capable of converting flow rate to pressure.
We offer advanced ultrasonic thickness gauge Portagauge® range, widely used in non destructive testing ultrasonic thickness gauge range are widely used in non destructive testing. With included A-scan and oscilloscope trace functionality to assist your measurements, observing material condition and help verify correct return backwall echo to give you confidence that you are measuring the correct wall thickness.
Durham Institute of Research, Development and Invention (DIRDI)
Our newly opened Durham Institute of Research, Development and Invention (DIRDI) is a joint partnership between Coltraco Ultrasonics and Durham University, offering students and staff the opportunity to develop collaborative research and to create research impact.
In our research at DIRDI we undertake fundamental research into the physical laws of the universe, alongside applied research in Physics, Mathematics, Engineering and Computer Science in acoustics, electromagnetism and information engineering. We identify and nurture brilliant minds, creating a unique research environment at Durham University, which is a globally outstanding centre of teaching and research excellence.
We combine Newtonian Discovery and Edisonian Commercialisation; whether an interest in articulating ideas mathematically and conceptually or developing innovative technologies, we provide the means to do both.
At DIRDI we wish to encourage thinkers to be able to pursue their own passions; this means maximising the freedom of our members to research subjects that they are passionate about. The idea is for research at DIRDI to be fun to undertake, without any constraints imposed by syllabus, funding requirements, or concerns about publication of results. We welcome those with an interest in ultrasonics, acoustics, electromagnetism and information engineering to apply to join us and benefit from real world research experience.