Ultrasonic watertight integrity & hatch cover tester
IMPA MSG P/N: 652778
Ultrasonic watertight integrity tester
The Portascanner® Watertight is the world leading method for testing a wide variety of watertight seals to identify the exact location of leak sites quickly and easily. Coltraco Ultrasonics first pioneered the technology nearly 30 years ago and have been at the forefront ever since.
We always aim to make our equipment as simple and easy to use, making it ideal for use by crew as well as Surveyors or experienced NDT specialists. Typical testing examples include:
- Ultrasonic hatch cover testing – mainly used for testing bulk carrier hatches, the Portascanner is onboard most of the leading bulk carrier operators and traditionally used by crew prior to departure to ensure the seals are secure and thus the vessel, crew and cargo are safe. Regular use will result in drastically reduced cargo claims.
- Watertight or Weathertight doors – Whilst testing doors has a slightly different testing protocol, the same basic unit configuration can be used. Any different door style can be tested and is an especially popular application among safety critical environments such as Naval or Oil&Gas platforms.
- Multiple Cable Transits (MCTs) – Testing MCTs for secure seals is an area of increasing awareness in numerous industries. With few alternative methods, the Portascanner has been perfected for use in such environments.
The Portascanner offers a more accurate and reliable alternative to chalk testing and a cleaner and more efficient alternative to hose testing. Both these methods can only identify very substantial leaks and are highly dependent on the tester. The Portascanner removes subjectivity by identifying any leaks that exist and will find problems always missed by both methods. With the Portascanner able to identify leaks as small as 0.06mm, it is the most precise unit available on the market.
The Portascanner® comes with many unique features:
- Magnetically positioned generator – place the generator on any magnetic surface for perfect & convenient positioning. Ideal for bulk carrier testing as removes the need to place generator on the tank top and makes testing Doors & MCTs much easier.
- Range of 100m – Meaning the device is capable of testing even the largest bulk carriers. Multiple generators can be used simultaneously for challenging spaces.
- Dual measurement units – Can be used in either with the linear numerical display or in decibels depending on the application
- Highly intuitive to use – Easiest unit to operate effectively in the market and ideal for use by crew. Minimal training required for effective use and video training available
- Handsfree use – with eyelet to attach hanging strap to allow users 2 free hands to work with
- Technical Support – Provided one-on-one free of charge, with video material, over the telephone, video call or email.
- Warranty – 3 year warranty covering any manufacturing defect with full replacement in the event of failure
What's in the box
How to use
Place the generator on one side of the seal and turn it on. This will fill the space being tested with a specific ultrasonic frequency.
To find out more, see this video
If testing on a hatch cover or watertight door, close and seal before commencing inspection
With the user and receiver on the opposite side of the seal, scan the sensor around the edge of the seal being tested.
Listening in the headphones for quick identification and looking at the display for closer inspection, identify areas where the signal is strongest to identify leaks and mark for repair. See example below
Once repair work is complete, repeat testing until seal is secure.
To understand the process in more detail, please see this video – Portascanner Operation
215mm x 82mm x 30xx
0.06 mm +/- 0.02mm
310 mm (lenght) x 25 mm (diameter), connected by BNC connector to 1m length co-ax cable
Visual – via LCD display & graph
Audible – via external headphones
Results shown in decibel (dB) and linear readings
-20C to 70C / 68F to 158F
Membrane control operated, LCD back-lit measuring 55mm x 28mm
Generator – 2 x PP3 9V batteries (12 hours continuous use)
Receiver – 1 x PP3 9V battery with low life indication (10 hours continuous use)
ABS Type Approval
RINA Type Approval
IRS Type Approval
ExVeritas ISO 9001
Made in UK, compliant to ISO 14001 and ISO 9001:2015
- Main unit – 3 Year Warranty
- Sensor – 1 Year Warranty
- Technical Support – Lifetime of the unit