Ultrasonic watertight integrity & hatch cover tester
Portable instrument for locating leaks and assessing watertightness and weathertightness.
The Portascanner® WATERTIGHT is the world-leading fully ABS Type-Approved & RINA-Accepted watertight integrity tester for inspecting watertight and weathertight seals on ships and marine structures such as warships and offshore oil & gas platforms.
IMPA MSG P/N: 652778
Ultrasonic watertight integrity tester
The Portascanner® WATERTIGHT is the original technology developed by Coltraco Ultrasonics to test the integrity of sealed compartments, watertight/weathertight doors, hatch-covers, and multiple cable transit areas with unique dual decibel and linear readings accurate to 0.06mm +/- 0.02mm.
With its unbeaten accuracy and suitability for use by any operator with free training provided and no need for time-consuming, expensive courses, the Portascanner® WATERTIGHT is the easiest way to reliably check for watertightness and weathertightness.
Existing methods for water flow measurement are disruptive, costly, and unreliable. Hose testing, for example, may damage cargo and contribute to the degradation of seals, while violating environmental codes. Meanwhile, the Portascanner® WATERTIGHT is a hand-held instrument that, with minimal training, can be deployed regularly with crew in situ.
The Portascanner® WATERTIGHT is used as a maintenance instrument for watertight seals, doors, cable transits, hatch covers, and bulkheads. It allows maintenance operators to ensure complete watertightness or weathertightness without needing the compartment to be subject to water ingress and can operate with a range up to 50m.
- Know where your leaks are and their significance – know if and when a seal requires replacing
- Improve efficiency and quality of watertight room maintenance – locate leaks, assess their significance, and seal the leaks that matter
- Grants the user the ability to fully assess a compartment or vessel prior to and during transit, meaning risks can be identified as early as possible
- Portable and easy to use in a 7” hand-held tablet format – can be used in-house by crew or by third party maintenance teams
- Ability to determine individual water leakage rates through specific walls, doors, seals etc.
- Ability to determine the exact location of leaks, meaning remedial measures can be taken. This is far more accurate and reliable than procedures such as chalk testing.
- The process is quick and procedural
OPTION 1: decibel (dB)
OPTION 2: Linear/ numerical
0 dB = watertight seal
0 – 5 = watertight seal
1 dB – 26 dB = weathertight seal
6 – 100 = weathertight seal
27+ dB = weak seal compression
101+ = weak seal compression
high values = full leak site
For hatch cover: above 10% OHV = leak site.
high values = full leak site
What's in the box
- 1 x Portascanner® WATERTIGHT Handheld Receiver Unit
- 1 x Receiver Wand with Aluminium Rod Extensions
- 1 x Portascanner® Ultrasonic Generator
- 1 x Headphones
- 1 x User Manual
- 1 x Calibration Certificate
- 1 x Hard Wearing Carrying Case
How to use
Place the generator on one side of the seal and turn it on. This will fill the space being tested with a specific ultrasonic frequency.
To find out more, see this video
If testing on a hatch cover or watertight door, close and seal before commencing inspection
With the user and receiver on the opposite side of the seal, scan the sensor around the edge of the seal being tested.
Listening in the headphones for quick identification and looking at the display for closer inspection, identify areas where the signal is strongest to identify leaks and mark for repair. See example below
Once repair work is complete, repeat testing until seal is secure.
To understand the process in more detail, please see this video – Portascanner Operation
Dimensions: 215x82x30mm (8.46×3.23×1.18 in)
Weight: 420g (14.82 oz)
Power: 1 x PP3 9V battery
Battery Life: 10 hours continuous use (with low battery indication)
Readings: Visual (via LCD display and graph) or audible (via external headphones)
Display: Membrane control operated, LCD back-lit Display measuring 55 x 28 mm
Warranty: 3 years
Dimensions: 112x67x25mm (4.41×2.64×0.98 inches)
Weight: 137g (4.83 ounces)
Output: Single 40kHz transducer, variable power settings
Power: 2 x PP3 9V battery
Battery Life: 12 hours continuous use
Warranty: 3 years
Total Length: 310mm (12.20 inches)
Rod Diameter: 25mm (0.98 inches)
Warranty: 1 year
Extension parts available for longer length
Connected by BNC to 1m length co-axial cable
Resolution: 0.06mm hole diameter
Operating Temperature: -20°C to +70°C (68°F to 158°F)
Approvals: Full ABS Type Approval; Classification Society Accepted- RINA; CE; ExVeritas ISO 9001
Certificate: Manufactured in England with ISO 14001 and ISO 9001:2015 registered company