Showing all 3 results
Ultrasonic Level Sensors
We offer a range of ultrasonic sensors and liquid level gauges suitable for use with tanks for foods, oils, chemicals, refrigerants and intrinsically safe applications. Should you require more information, contact us and let us know your specific level measurement applications and our sales team will assess how we can help you with tank contents measurement. If you have a requirement outside the specific parameters of our product, our Research & Development Team are onside to assist you with field trials or even a bespoke solutions tailored to you for sensors ultrasonic testing.
Specialised Level Ultrasonic Sensor
What is ultrasonic level measurement? What are the benefits?
Ultrasonics is an effective and reliable technology for non-invasively identifying a wide range of liquids in cylinders/tanks. As ultrasonics use external level sensors, this is a non interacting level system.
Using ultrasound frequency is faster: save time and thus save labour costs by testing tank level quicker than methods such as weighing.
Ultrasonic level distance measurement is safer, protect your personnel from health & safety risks and the asset in the container from contamination from invasive methods such as dipsticks by testing from the outside.
Save yourself time and cost by thorough, quick and easy testing using industrial ultrasonic level sensor instrument technology and our Ultrasonic Sensor products.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of ultrasonic level sensor?
The benefits of using the Portatank® rather than traditional methods are: Quick Testing: very clear LED results for liquid level indication. Versatile Applicable for a wide range of tanks & Liquids Non-Invasive: Testing outside tanks through the outer wall.
How ultrasonic fuel level sensor works?
The Portatank® is very simple to operate for ultrasonic tank level measurement: 1. Apply ultrasonic gel to the tank wall, connect the temperature sensor to the unit and turn the unit on. 2. Place the sensor on the tank wall starting from the upper section, then move the sensor down in steps. 3. The red LED indicator will light up when liquid level is encountered.
How to water level detection range using ultrasonic sensor?
With the Portatank® you will have clear level object detection. The red LED indicator will light up when liquid level is encountered. Clear LIQUID / NO LIQUID indication.
What is the ultrasonic level measurement principle?
The Portatank® works by ultrasonic pulse-echo measurement. An ultrasonic signals is transmitted through the walls, across the tank’s contents and its reflection is measured to determine the presence or absence of liquid.
Is the Portatank® a non contact ultrasonic level sensor?
The Portatank® can detect the liquid levels non-invasively through the outer walls of the tank. The Portatank® requires no installation for either application.
Ultrasonic Level Transducer
The Portatank is an ultrasonic sensor for tanks, a non invasive liquid contents verification tool for industrial single-skinned containers/tanks which can be used to support process control.
Below are just some of the case studies of complex applications where the advanced level ultrasonic sensor has been applied. For the full case studies, please see the Portatank brochure:
- FOOD PROCESSING FACTORY: MAYONNAISE VAT LEVEL
- WHERE? Food processing factory based in the south of the UK producing Coleslaw, packaged salads and pastas for the likes of McDonalds, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl. Producing over 130,000 pots of Coleslaw a day.
- WHAT? A 2.2 metre high, 5mm stainless steel wall, filled with mayonnaise. Previous monitoring method consisted of employing ladders to peer into the cylinder and check usage and remaining contents. Issues of potential contamination.
- HOW? The implementation of a liquid level indicator for tanks allows the plant to run more efficiently and reduces risks by providing the staff with a means of accurately and non-invasively monitoring the contents within the mayonnaise tank negating the need for physical inspection using ladders which posed a health and safety risk to the operator.
- FOOD PROCESSING FACTORY: APPLE PUREE VAT LEVEL
- WHERE? A leading food processing factory in Slovakia processing fresh fruit, vegetables and meat. The customer needed support in checking the liquid levels of apple puree, to be used in baby and toddler food and juice products.
- WHAT? Apple puree stored in large steel tanks, at 4.5metre in height. The client had no way for liquid in-tank inspection of apple puree inside the large tanks, as they did not have watermarks or a liquid level strip on them.
- HOW? The implementation of the simple liquid level control system allows the plant to run more efficiently.
- PHARMACEUTICAL MANUFACTURING: AMMONIA LEVELS IN IBCS
- WHERE? A British pharmaceutical company, one of the largest in the world.One of their pharma manufacturing plants in Ireland produces active ingredients that are used in drugs used to treat cancer, Parkinson's and depression.
- WHAT? An ammonia/water in Intermediate Bulk Containers (IBCs). Monitoring the contents within these IBCs previously involved physical dipstick measurements on the tank to monitor usage and replacement. The fumes given off by the ammonia created a health risk for engineers. Opening the top valve also created risk of contamination to the ammonia.
- HOW? Using the ultrasonic tank contents gauge to test tank levels in several of the IBCs, some were partially full and some were empty. Using an external ultrasonic liquid level meter reduces the amount of partially empty ammonia cylinders returned before emptying, saving the organisation money.
- ELECTRIC POWER TRANSMISSION & DISTRIBUTION: TRANSFORMER OIL LEVEL
- WHERE? Steel production facility with two types of transformers that were present on site: (1) 33kV to 6.6kV and (2) 6.6kV to 440V where the former is much larger sized. Across the site, hundreds of such transformers installed.
- WHAT? Many of these transformers do not have the means to indicate oil / fluid level detection externally. The existing solution was to shut the transformer down and inspect oil levels by opening the covers which results in a significant downtime to the power distribution network in the production facility. There were also concerns in the accuracy of many of the existing built-in level meters in the tank.
- HOW? The ultrasonic liquid level measurement device is a portable and reliable non-invasive solution capable of identifying fluid levels quickly and is very simple to operate. Oil inspection can now be done externally and on “live” transformers.
- LNG TANKER: HVAC REFRIGERANT R507 LEVEL
- WHERE? A vessel visit to an LNG tanker in order to inspect their R507 refrigerant cylinder.
- WHAT? Large holding container filled with refrigerant R507 which is part of the ship’s HVAC system. Approximately 2.2m in height, 60cm diameter and 4mm steel wall thickness. (2) Two 45 KG blue supply R507 cylinders.
- HOW? Coltraco’s ultrasonic fill level sensor was able to identify one of the tanks as an empty cylinder which was subsequently verified by their common practice, which was to throw a spanner into the cylinder. The level checker comes with two level transmitter sensor options to provide users with greater flexibility to identify the liquid level.
Can ultrasonic level transducers detect water level?
Yes, the Portatank can test water level through the side walls of the tank, without needing access into the tank, contrary to conventional ultrasonic water sensors which require sensors to be placed in the tank.
Tanks are used across a range of industries including chemical and food, machine and system engineering. Measuring the amount of liquid present inside a storage vessel, pressure vessel or tank is a common requirement in the process control sectors. The scale of demand in the process industry requires innovative technology, so that the manufacturing process remains smart and efficient. The Portatank is a liquid level gauge for tanks.
What is an ultrasonic level transmitter
The brand-new innovation from Coltraco Ultrasonics, Portatank® ultrasonic level sensor is the ideal solution for non-invasively identifying levels of water and clean liquids in large industrial tanks. The Portatank® tank liquid level gauge is an innovative handheld ultrasonic tool to accurately identify the level of contents, such as water level measurement, in large containers. The Portatank® is a absence / presence ultrasonic level measurement device.
Industrial ultrasonic level sensor
Intermediate Bulk Containers (IBCs) can present challenges to efficient monitoring of liquid contents. IBCs are reusable storage tanks which commonly carry circa 1,040 litres, however there is often a lack of confidence in the internal IBC monitoring systems. Most of the time, manual verification is needed for the contents and amounts in IBC’s. Among such manual verification methods are, Opening the top valve of IBC’s for the physical dip stick measurement also creates risk of contamination. As a solution, the Portatank® level measuring tool is the ideal solution for non-invasively identifying levels of water and clean liquids in large industrial tanks and IBC’s of diameter range: 0.5 – 15 metres.
Measuring water level using ultrasonic sensor
Using ultrasonic sensor for detecting water level is non-invasive, robust, easy to use and avoids the risk of harm to site engineers.
Liquid level measurement techniques
The portable, handheld ultrasonic fluid level sensor can be used for periodic checks of tanks.
- For tanks that already have an in-built system, our portable non-invasive ultrasonic tank level transmitter technology allows operators to verify liquid levels in tanks with existing in-built level indicators, as some of these can be from an old technology that can be inaccurate such as float level or sight-glass methods.
- For tanks without any form of liquid level indication, the Portatank® ultrasonic liquid level measurement can detect the liquid levels non-invasively through the outer walls of the tank.
- Portatank® requires no installation for either application
- The Portatank® is a simple and efficient method for level measurement basics
Benefit of Portatank over other types of liquid level measurement
- One portable Portatank ultrasonic water level sensor can measure the levels on multiple tanks whereas radar gauges required are one per tank, making the Portatank a more cost-effective solution for multiple tanks
- Radar level transmitter vs Ultrasonic: The Portatank® works from the side walls of the tank, no opening is required on the tank unlike radar level gauges
- Some older radar devices can have issues with radar build up leading to inaccurate measurements whereas the Portatank uses ultrasound and sound waves which does not have the same issue
- Constant transparent tubes, or sight glasses vary in accuracy. The Portatank® ultrasonic level measurement system provides a minimum of +/- 10mm in accuracy which is far better than sight glasses
- If volume and pressure testers have been installed, the Portatank® can be used as a secondary solution to verify the accuracy of these testers as the Portatank® is a portable solution
- Tanks with older designs and no level systems can be tested easily with the Portatank without any installation costs
- The Portatank can be used for closed and open tank level measurement, open tank (open to atmosphere) and closed tank (pressurised)
ELECTRIC POWER TRANSMISSION & DISTRIBUTION: TRANSFORMER OIL LEVEL
Steel production facility with two types of transformers that were present on site: (1) 33kV to 6.6kV and (2) 6.6kV to 440V where the former is much larger sized. Across the site, hundreds of such transformers installed.
Many of these transformers do not have the means to indicate oil / fluid level detection externally. The existing liquid level detection was to shut the transformer down and inspect oil levels by opening the covers which results in a significant downtime to the power distribution network in the production facility. There were also concerns in the accuracy of many of the existing built-in level meters in the tank.
The ultrasonic level transmitter device is a portable and reliable non-invasive solution capable of identifying fluid levels quickly and is very simple to operate. Oil inspection can now be done externally and on “live” transformers.
Level Detection Using Ultrasonic Sensor
Designed to increase process efficiency, the handheld portable Portatank® ultrasonic tank level sensor requires no installation time or cost. With clear LIQUID / NO LIQUID result, the Portatank® is accurate to +/- 10mm, providing the plant a safe, quick and accurately method to monitor contents. The non-invasive technology also means there is no downtime, as liquid level measurement can be taken when the tank systems are “live”. This adaptable liquid level measurement using ultrasonic sensor technology can work with liquid levels that fluctuate over time, as well as test a wide range of tanks and liquids. Coltraco’s equipment is designed to improve safety and best practice, ensuring the equipment used to for ultrasonic level measurement is accurate and efficient.
How to calibrate ultrasonic level transmitter
An oscilloscope is needed on the first stage of setting up the Portatank® with your application for the first time: To select the optimum parameters for your tank for enhanced accuracy and reliability.
- Food and Drink Processing
- Oil & Gas
- Water Treatment Facilities
- Fire Safety Engineering
- Process Industries
- Ultrasonic tank level sensor marine
- Fuel oil tank level measurement
- Ultrasonic water level measurement
- Ultrasonic sensor for fuel level measurement
Ultrasonic liquid level sensor price
For pricing or further information contact the Coltraco sales team. Coltraco ultrasonics are a ultrasonic level transmitter manufacturer for liquid surface.
Ultrasonic tank level sensor manufacturer
Be assured of business success and efficiency with innovative and personalised solutions from Coltraco Ultrasonics.
If you are testing fire suppression systems to identify bottle contents of liquefied gas agents e.g. CO2, clean agent etc, in areas where you require explosion proof instrumentation, you should use the Portalevel® IS. It is the only ExVeritas approved Portalevel® model available from Coltraco Ultrasonics, at II 2 G Ex ib IIA T4 Gb.
The level ultrasonic sensor is ideal for environments with gas, vapours and mists (IECEx Zone 1) such as LNG Tankers, Offshore Platforms with flammable gases, Breweries, Chemical plants, Petrochemical and Hazardous material storage facilities plus many more. Catastrophic risks to human life, asset and revenue all result from a fire event in an explosive environment. One simple step towards improving fire safety is ensuring all equipment is intrinsically safe approved, to protect the people against the risk of explosion.
Why is a Nippon unit needed for testing fire suppression systems in Japan?
By exploring the Japanese Fire Protection market in detail, several unique requirements were identified to properly serve the local customer base. Thicker, more power absorbing Japanese cylinders demand a specially tailored calibration capability and increased power output. As a result of this, a specially adapted unit was created, allowing customers to take advantage of the 8th Generation ultrasonic level technology, optimized for specific tailored local requirements. This offers customers the usability of the Portalevel technology even on the more challenging applications.