Showing all 2 results
Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge
Coltraco Ultrasonics is one of the ultrasonic thickness gauges companies who offers two models of high-quality ultrasonic thickness gauges:
- Portagauge® 3 single echo gauge very simple to use, ideal for a repeated pattern of results
- Portagauge® 4 triple echo gauge which is ideal for metal-only results, not including the layer of coating or paint.
Get in touch in the form above to get the ultrasonic coating thickness gauge price list, we also provide a range of support.
Ultrasonic thickness testing equipment and instruments can be used to help mitigate the impact of corrosion by identifying metal coating thickness wear and tear before it leads to damage of critical metalwork. Corrosion can be very costly to a business if left unchecked by leading to costly repairs, prolonged maintenance, material losses, poor performance and, if left untreated, failure. 5 Core Benefits
- Quick testing allows the user to test a large range of metals within a short period of time.
- Easy to use for any operator, with quick training for reliable and accurate testing.
- Accurate and ideal for a wide range of industrial applications: fire cylinders, ship hulls, pipework, storage tanks
- Portable unit, lightweight, compact and able to work on heavily corroded metal.
- UK Made manufactured to high quality, for reliable, long term equipment and instruments, supported by Coltraco’s life-time Customer Care Commitment
Recommended Applications for Coating Thickness
There is a wide range of uses such as ultrasonic wall thickness testing, ultrasonic pipe thickness testing, ultrasonic pipe wall thickness testing, etc which is valuable for an array industries such as power generation, pipes and tubing, fire safety engineering, petrochemical, shipping, rail, metals & mining and industrial sectors.
Risk of Corrosion
For example, in power plants, corrosion is the primary factor leading to costly and critical downtime and can account for up to 75% of a plant’s arrest time during maintenance and up to 54% of production costs.
Customer Case Study: Telecommunications in the UK
Our customer is a leading provider of engineering services to the telecommunications industry. They are using Portagauge™3 the leading single echo ultrasonic metal thickness gauge working directly for some of the major operators and owners of masts and towers in the UK. Here is one of them in Scotland.
What is an ultrasonic metal thickness tester?
Submit an enquiry form (above) and our team will send you the ultrasonic thickness testing procedure pdf and ultrasonic thickness tester price within 24 hours. Ultrasonic thickness gauges are a simple and effective NDT instrument for testing metal corrosion and wall coating thickness. Coltraco Ultrasonics are one of the reliable ultrasonic thickness gauge manufacturers. industry experts in designing ultrasonic thickness measurement tool for coatings. Coltraco manufactures two industry leading ultrasonic thickness gauges, ideal for the regular testing of metal work.
Why choose handheld ultrasonic thickness gauges?
Ultrasonic pipe thickness gauges are essential when analysing materials such as glass, ceramics, plastics and metals. Many building, construction and manufacturing companies have regulations surrounding the appropriate thickness of materials. Hence, ultrasonic thickness testing machines are used to accurately measure and check material thickness is at an optimum, standard level, to keep costs low, whilst providing adequate protection and quality.
How ultrasonic thickness gauges works?
The triple echo technology in an ultrasonic steel thickness gauge sends a short pulse of high-frequency sound through the material, like an ultrasound. However, unlike single echo technology, the multiple echo unit measures the time delay between 3 consecutive back wall echoes, and it is the distance between the 2nd and 3rd echoes that gives a true and accurate reading and data of the material thickness measurements only, ignoring any paint or coating.
How Does an Ultrasonic Thickness Measuring Tool Work?
The ultrasonic thickness gauge working principle is precisely measuring how long it takes for a sound pulse to travel through the metal and reflect back from the inside surface or far wall. From this measurement, the thickness of the metal is calculated and displayed on a digital screen. Submit your enquiry form about for the ultrasonic thickness gauge working principle pdf or ultrasonic thickness gauge manual and our team will respond within 24 hours. The handheld, lightweight gauges enable ultrasonic thickness testing services for easy on-site inspection and results are instant. If a problem has been detected, additional non-destructive testing ultrasound methods can be used to further investigate the findings.
What is a Thickness Gauge Tool?
Ultrasonic thickness gauges are a simple and effective NDT instrument for testing off corrosion and wall thickness measurements. Coltraco Ultrasonics are proud industry experts in ultrasonic thickness measurement tools and instruments. Coltraco manufactures two industry leading NDT thickness gauges, ideal for the regular testing of metal work.
Types of Ultrasonic Gauges
At Coltraco Ultrasonics we offer a range of portable and hand-held devices currently available on the market that come with a range of features, these allow industrial engineers to perform vital predictive maintenance in situations that require rope access, in hazardous environments, offshore, and for ship survey projects as well as for divers on deep-sea exploration assignments. Our top selling products include the Portagauge® 3 and the Portagauge® 4.
The Portagauge® 3 was designed to be as simple and durable as possible. With only 2 controls (on & off) the device offers an effortless, plug and play method for quickly inspecting large metal surfaces or material. Accurate to 0.1mm, the unit is primarily used for corrosion and condition inspections. The device can very quickly help the user find internal corrosion in structures and because it is so quick to operate, large surface areas and velocity can be quickly inspected. This is especially valuable when inspecting pipework, hulls, process machinery and other applications with particularly long metal structures. You can contact Coltraco's team for a price list.
The Portagauge 4® uses triple echo technology which allows measurements of the metal independent of any surface coatings or material such as paint. Accurate to +/- 0.1mm, the Portagauge 4 can measure thicknesses up to 250mm and the resolution can be set to either 0.1mm or 0.05mm depending on coatings requirement. With a comfortable rubberized enclosure and the option of a plastic case to protect the unit from dirt, the Portagauge 4 is among the most ergonomic models of the range. Check out our price list and contact our team.
Advantages of Ultrasonic Thickness Measurement
Using high-quality equipment is essential for recording accurate information when conducting underwater surveys. The technology used in underwater thickness gauges is specially designed to carry out incredibly precise measurements, allowing one to work and be measured to the highest standards in hazardous, unpredictable environments such as structures at sea, protecting both the structure and the surrounding environment from unnecessary, costly disasters. Some of the benefits of ultrasonic thickness testing include:
- With an UT Thickness Tester, quick wall thickness testing allows you to test a large range of metals and materials within a short period of time.
- Ideal for a wide range of industrial applications, such as testing pipe thickness, fire cylinders, ship hulls and storage tanks.
- Simple enough for any operator, the range of handheld ultrasonic thickness gauges need only quick training for reliable and accurate testing.
- The quality handheld ultrasonic thickness gauges are built to ensure they meet high standards with reliable results delivery.
- Using ultrasonic thickness meters allow you to go above and beyond regulatory compliance such as NFPA 25 and NFPA 13.
Best Ultrasonic Thickness Gauges Offered by Coltraco
For your choice and budget, Coltraco offers two ultrasonic testing thickness measurement tools, the Portagauge® 3 and the Portagauge® 4.
Most popular is using Portagauge® ultrasonic thickness gauge for pipes, e.g. sprinkler systems. At Coltraco Ultrasonics we offer a range of digital ultrasonic thickness gauge, these allow industrial engineers to perform vital predictive maintenance in situations that require rope access, in hazardous environments, offshore, and for ship survey.
Our top selling products include the Portagauge® 3 and the Portagauge® 4 ultrasonic paint thickness gauge.
Portagauge® 3 is one of the best budget thickness gauges, a single-echo portable ultrasonic wall thickness meter.
- Ideal use: Primarily used for corrosion and condition inspections.
- Quick: The device can very quickly help the user find internal corrosion in structures and because it is so quick to operate, large surface areas can be quickly inspected. This is especially valuable when inspecting pipework, hulls, process machinery and other applications with particularly long metal structures.
- Versatile: Provides the great amount of versatility needed to suit a diversity of safety needs, such as steel, quartz and glass PVC to suit a diversity of safety needs
- Accurate: The quick, simple and hardy Portagauge® 3 allows accuracy of ±0.1mm even on corroded, challenging and some plastic surfaces.
- Application: With a 50 hour battery life, measuring thickness ranges between 1.5mm to 99.9mm
- Easy: With only 2 controls (on & off) the device offers an effortless, plug and play method for quickly inspecting large metal surfaces.
Portagauge® 4 is a through coating ultrasonic thickness gauge uses triple echo technology which allows measurements of the metal independent of any surface coatings such as paint.
- Accurate: Offering accuracy to +/- 0.1mm, using triple echo technology which allows operators to inspect the underlying metal thickness, independent of any surface coatings such as paint. The resolution can be set to either 0.1mm or 0.05mm depending on the requirement.
- Range: The ultrasonic testing thickness limitation is governed by the sensor chosen. The maximum thickness for ultrasonic testing depends on the sensor, e.g. up to 250mm for standard 2.25Mhz, the minimum thickness for ultrasonic testing also depends on the sensor e.g. as small as 1mm for 5MHz sensor (see table).
Table for ultrasonic testing maximum thickness limitation and minimum plate thickness for ultrasonic testing
|Sensor Frequency||2.25MHz (standard)||3.5MHz||5MHz|
|Sensor Sizes||13mm (0.5”) &|
|13mm (0.5”)||6mm (0.25”) & |
- Ergonomic: With a comfortable rubberized enclosure and the option of a plastic case to protect the unit from dirt, the Portagauge 4 is among the most ergonomic models of the range.
- Metal-only results: For applications where true metal data readings display and a higher degree of accuracy is required, the Portgauge® 4 is the ideal solution. Also an ideal ultrasonic thickness gauge for plastic.
- Wide Range: With a variety of sensor options available and underwater variants, this range of units can easily be adapted to a variety of different roles and requirements.
Some of the benefits of ultrasonic thickness testing include:
- With an ultrasonic gauge thickness tester, quick wall thickness testing allows you to test a large range of metals within a short period of time.
- Ultrasonic thickness gauge accuracy makes it ideal for a wide range of industrial applications, such as testing pipe thickness, fire cylinders, ship hulls and storage tanks.
- Simple enough for any operator, ultrasonic thickness testing training is minimal and can be conducted quickly for reliable and accurate testing.
- The quality handheld ultrasonic thickness gauges are built to ensure they meet high standards with reliable results.
- Using ultrasonic thickness meters allow you to go above and beyond regulatory compliance such as NFPA 25 and NFPA 13.
For Thickness Testing Equipment, Choose Coltraco UltraSonic Technology
As a professional and recognised leading ultrasonic technology company, based in the UK we have an outstanding track record of delivering the highest quality inspections locally and worldwide. For the last 30 years we designed handheld, reliable, accurate portable inspection products. In 2020 after listening to our customers we will move to constant monitoring systems. Therefore, should you be searching for ‘Ultrasonic Technology’, be sure to call our team at Coltraco and see how our team can help you today.
Available worldwide: e.g. for an ultrasonic thickness gauge Australia – get in touch with our colleague based in Sydney: Robin Sellar. Or for ultrasonic thickness gauge Canada, ultrasonic thickness gauge Singapore, ultrasonic thickness gauge UK, submit an enquiry and our team will introduce you to your local supplier.
How to Use Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge?
Both ultrasonic thickness gauges are very easy to use. Simply connect the sensors to the unit, turn the unit on, apply some ultrasonic thickness gauge gel to the surface you are testing and then place the ultrasonic thickness sensor on the testing area to measure, for an instant wall thickness measurement.
What is the Ultrasonic Thickness measurement accuracy?
The Portagauge® 3 and Portagauge® 4 are accurate to +/- 0.1mm in an ultrasonic wall thickness test.
What options are there for Ultrasonic Thickness gauge transducer (also called sensors)?
Both the Portagauge® 3 and Portagauge® 4 have a range of probe options to enable wall thickness testing from 0.1-250mm, based on your requirements.
What is the Ultrasonic Thickness testing procedure?
The ultrasonic testing thickness measurement procedure is very simple: apply gel to the area being tested, place the sensor and note the thickness reading and data display. The results from the ultrasonic testing come in mm and with the Portagauge® 4 also in inches, meaning no calculations are needed for wall thickness results. High temperature sensors can be supplied on demand.
What warranty do the thickness meters have?
The thickness meters have a 3-year warranty for main unit and 1 warranty year for the sensors.
How to calculate gauge thickness?
The results from the ultrasonic testing come in mm and with the Portagauge® 4 also in inches, meaning no calculations are needed for wall thickness results. High temperature sensors can be supplied to measure on demand.
How to calibrate Ultrasonic Thickness gauge?
The calibration block for ultrasonic thickness gauges are included in the so that you can check them yourself easily. The ultrasonic thickness gauge calibration procedure is recommended annually at one of Coltraco’s worldwide ODA authorised calibration centres – see support centre for details about ultrasonic thickness testing certification. The couplant gel for ultrasonic thickness gauge is also included in the price.
How to comply with Ultrasonic Thickness testing standards & regulations?
NFPA 25 – Standard for the Inspection, Testing and Maintenance of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems
9.2.7 Tests During Interior Inspection. Where a drained interior inspection of a steel tank is required by 220.127.116.11, the following tests shall be conducted:
(3) Non-destructive ultrasonic readings display shall be taken to evaluate the wall thickness where there is evidence of pitting or corrosion
(5) Tank bottoms shall be tested for metal loss and/or rust on the underside by use of ultrasonic testing where there is evidence of pitting or corrosion
NFPA 13 – Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler System
References made to NFPA 25 for regular inspection, testing and maintenance.
How are the Ultrasonic Thickness gauges supplied?
The Portagauge® 3 and Portagauge® 4 main units are supplied in a carrying case, with a probe, test block, instructions and ultrasonic gel.
How transportable are the Ultrasonic Thickness gauges?
Both the Portagauge® 3 and Portagauge® 4 are lightweight portable pocket thickness gauges.
Can the Portaguage® 3 and Portagauge® 4 be used for testing stainless steel?
Both units are ideal stainless steel thickness gauges.
Is Ultrasonic Thickness gauge hire available?
We do not usually do ultrasonic thickness gauge rental but please get in touch for queries. Ultrasonic thickness tester rental will be considered per project requirement.
Ultrasonic thickness gauge reviews
Our single-echo Portagauge™ 3 has been in service and upgraded many times for 20 years. Known as the “low cost Marine Superintendents Thickness Gauge” it is widely used in the shipping industry. Joined by the multiple-echo metal-only Portagauge™ 4. We now have a range of ultrasonic sensors to work aboard ships but also to test wall-corrosion of fire safety cylinders and gaseous fire extinguishing and fire sprinkler pipework so that testing can take place cleanly and non-invasively, without disturbing the system.