Marine Ultrasonic Liquid Level Indicator
One of the latest additions to the Portalevel® range, the all-new Portalevel® MAX MARINE PLUS offers vast improvement to the functionality and display, all packaged into a smart, ergonomic, and rugged enclosure. With the implementation of three calibration modes, the user has much greater control when testing a large variety of liquids and fire suppression systems. A new user interface upgrade now indicates which phase the sensor is placed, indicating either GAS or LIQUID. This model comes supplied with a sensor extension rod which allows easy testing of multiple banked rows of cylinders often found aboard seafaring vessels.
- User-friendly display, versatile and accurate to ±1.5 mm.
- Three intelligent calibration features and four power settings for increased gain.
- Capable of testing a wide variety of fire suppression agents, such as; CO2, FM200™, NOVEC™ 1230, old Halon agents, FE-13™, FE-25™, NAF S III™ and all core Clean Agent systems.
The Portalevel® MAX MARINE PLUS is designed to be a portable way to non-invasively locate the liquid level inside most single skinned cylinders. Our technology is suitable for many applications, but it is most widely used as a replacement for both weighing fire suppression cylinders during installation and servicing, or replacement for the fitting of internal and invasive liquid level ‘float’ devices. Once the liquid level height inside a container has been located, the agent weight can be determined using the Portasteele® CALCULATOR, which is designed to quickly convert liquid height to agent weight accounting for the cylinder size, agent type and temperature.
Converting Liquid Level to Weight: Monitoring the liquid level in fire cylinders is a vital aspect of any fire suppression system maintenance schedule, however, understanding how the liquid level relates to the fill weight of the cylinder is equally important. Coltraco Ultrasonics offer, in conjunction with the Portalevel® range, the world’s first liquid level to agent mass calculator.
The Portasteele® CALCULATOR calculates the agent weight of a fire suppression cylinder. It does this by using the liquid level determined by our Portalevel® range or inversely, by using the required fill level for a certain weight of suppression agent. The Portasteele® CALCULATOR is sold as a stand-alone unit on a 7’’ hand-held tablet to be used in conjunction with our Portalevel® range.
- An ultrasonic transducer, either handheld or extension rod, coated in ultrasound gel (or water) generates an ultrasonic pulse that is transmitted into the fire cylinder and is reflected back. The ultrasonic gel acts as a couplant by removing any air gaps between the ultrasonic transmitter and the cylinder wall, thus allowing the transmission of ultrasound.
- As the wave travels throughout the cylinder, some of its energy is dissipated into the cylinder and its contents. This results in the signal returned to the transducer having decreased amplitude. Analysis of the returned signal can be used to determine if the transducer has been placed in the liquid or gas phase.
- The Portalevel® MAX MARINE PLUS will display a numerical value which is an indicator of the strength of ultrasound received by the unit.
- The device is calibrated by moving the transducer up and down the cylinder whilst reading the numerical value off the display and engaging the ‘CAL’ button when in the appropriate section.
- The user has the option of selecting between three calibration modes depending on the cylinder and agent type.
- The Portalevel® MAX MARINE PLUS will now indicate which section of the cylinder the ultrasonic transducer is located by displaying GAS or LIQUID, thus allowing the user to accurately find the liquid level.
Extension Rod explained
DELIVER BETTER FIRE SAFETY ONBOARD
IMO SOLAS & FSS Code Chapter 18.104.22.168
“Means shall be provided for the crew to safely check the quantity of the fire extinguishing medium in the containers.”
The crew are not qualified to dismantle the fire system to weigh the cylinders. So having a quick and easy to use ABS Type Approved ultrasonic liquid level indicator is the only accurate and efficient way of delivering better fire safety onboard, and protecting the crew.