The Portagauge 4® uses triple echo technology which allows measurements of the metal independent of any surface coatings such as paint. Accurate to +/- 0.1mm, the Portagauge 4 can measure thicknesses up to 250mm and the resolution can be set to either 0.1mm or 0.05mm depending on requirement. With comfortable rubberized enclosure and the option of a plastic case to protect the unit from dirt, the Portagauge 4 is among the most ergonomic models of the range.
There are also multiple sensor options available:
- 2.25MHz probe – measuring range of 3 to 250mm
- 2.5MHz probe – measuring range of 2 to 150mm
- 5MHz probe – measuring range of 1 to 50mm
Stay Compliant With The Regulations
Portagauge® 4 enables you to go above and beyond regulatory compliance.
NFPA 25 – Standard for the Inspection, Testing and Maintenance of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems
9.2.7 Tests During Interior Inspection. Where a drained interior inspection of a steel tank is required by 22.214.171.124, the following tests shall be conducted:
(3) Non-destructive ultrasonic readings shall be taken to evaluate the wall thickness where there is evidence of pitting or corrosion
(5) Tank bottoms shall be tested for metal loss and/or rust on the underside by use of ultrasonic testing where there is evidence of pitting or corrosion NFPA 13 – Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler System
References made to NFPA 25 for regular inspection, testing and maintenance.
Class Guideline DNVGL-CG-0285 (Dec 2018) – Section 3 – Basic Requirements – General – 5) Only multiple echo instruments may be used for UTM onboard all ships
How to use the Portagauge® 4 in 4 simple steps:
1. Connect the sensor to the unit.
2. Press the “On” button on the Portagauge® 4 unit.
3. Using the menu button, calibrate the unit to the surface that you are testing.
4. Place the sensor firmly on the surface that you are reading and the Portagauge® will instantly tell you a measurement of the metal thickness in mm.